My plan was to head to New York today to see my mom, have dinner with my grandfather and then meet up with my dad tomorrow before heading to the airport for my 11:30 pm flight (sunday evening)….. that was my plan until Irene asserted her will with 80+ mph winds….
Now, I am unclear on when I will leave Northampton. I am meeting up with my dad on Monday morning for the car swap and then I fly out of NYC on Tuesday evening, arriving in Nepal on the morning of the 1st — two days after the original plan and a day after Katherine arrives.
At first, this morning, I felt frustrated. I want to leave – or rather – I want my adventure to begin. I have been staying with friends all week, I haven’t fully packed yet, I am living out of my car. I am ready for some semblance of normalcy (or at least living out of a backpack versus out of my messy car). i don’t want to loose out of any time in Nepal. I want to get out there! But – I am fairly powerless in setting my own schedule against a hurricane.
Irene is reminding me to take everything in stride. I could be stranded at some developing world airport without any friends in sight. I could be in a lot worse places than with dear friends sharing a great meal, waiting to see how irene will impact us tonight. I will get to Nepal this week, I will get myself packed and ready to go and I will begin my adventure (or wait, did it already begin?)
So, thanks Irene – thanks for reminding me to let go of my expectations and just jump on for the ride.